As we pause to celebrate and give thanks this month, we would like to say thank you to everyone who visited Gettysburg this year. We hope you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again in the future.
This delicious dish is a favorite of President Jimmy Carter.
Succotash With Sausage
1 pound sausage links
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup of onions, finely chopped
3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
2 cups fresh or frozen lima beans
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 cup tomato juice
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium high heat until they are cooked thoroughly. Brown for 10 minutes. Drain fat, cover, and keep warm.
- In a separate skillet, melt butter and saute onions over medium heat for 3 minutes or until transparent. Do not brown.
- Dice tomatoes and add to sauteed onions. Stir in lima beans, corn, tomato juice, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Transfer to a deep serving dish. Arrange sausage links across the top.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
This recipe is courtesy of Capitol Hill Cooks by Linda Bauer. It is available in our museum gift shop at the Hall of Presidents and would make a wonderful gift for the cook on your list! You can read more sample recipes here and here!