If you’re averse to large crowds but love history, Christmas is a great time to arrange a visit to Gettysburg. The summer vacationers, school groups, and ghost hunters who visit during the rest of the year are largely absent, leaving winter to those who aren’t put off by cooler temps or even a winter wonderland.
In order to help guests who prefer a Christmastime visit to Gettysburg, we thought we’d talk about some of our favorite winter activities, events and hotspots. As with any other time of year, we encourage you to spend more than just a day, since there are so many things to see and do to fully experience what Gettysburg has to offer.
- Shopping – Get something for everyone on your list at dozens of local Gettysburg shops.
- Licensed guided bus tours – Travel on one of our heated buses and learn all about the three-day Battle of Gettysburg.
- An Eisenhower Christmas – Come see the Eisenhower home all decorated for Christmas, just as it was during the Eisenhowers’ time in the White House.
- Winter thrills – Liberty Mountain Resort offers skiing, snowboarding, and tubing and is just a short drive away.
- Food, beer & wine – Gettysburg has plenty to offer beyond just history, including great wineries, fabulous restaurants, and friendly taverns.
- November 25 – The Gettysburg Christmas tree lighting in Lincoln Square.
- December 2 – Witness 1600 holiday wreaths being placed at the Soldiers’ National Cemetery. Don’t worry if you miss the event, as the wreaths will remain throughout the end of the season.
- December 3 – Watch the annual Old Getty Place Christmas parade at 7pm.
- December 10 – Join the Spirited Events by Jofa for a paranormal exploration of the Hall of Presidents. Ghost tours not your thing? Stop by the Lincoln Train Museum for a Polar Express event or join the annual festive Holiday House Tour and Tasting.
- December 16 – Enjoy Christmas Dinner with General and Mrs. Lee at the Farnsworth House Inn.
- December 31 – Join us in Lincoln Square for a New Year’s Eve celebration that includes an awesome fireworks display.
- And More
- December 8 through December 18 – Experience small-town charm in historic Gettysburg, PA during one of the most festive times of the year. Our Christmas in Gettysburg package gives you the opportunity to tour three historic homes, attend local theater, do some retail shopping in our lovely downtown, and experience world-class dining.
We hope you find this blog helpful if you are thinking about making a trip to Gettysburg this holiday season. If you’d like to see what else is available or would like to learn more, please visit Destination Gettysburg’s website, or the individuals who are responsible for the events.