It is hard to believe 2016 is coming to a close already! Where does the time go? If you were planning to pay us a visit this year, but realize that 2016 has already passed you by, now is the time to start planning your Gettysburg trip for 2017.
We want to help you get an early jump on the vacation planning for next year, so we’ve come up with a list of five events in Gettysburg that you won’t want to miss. Any of these events can make an enjoyable trip to Gettysburg even more special.
- 4th of July Weekend – July 1 through July 4 – The Fourth of July is an amazing time to visit Gettysburg. You can observe the 154th anniversary Gettysburg Battle reenactment, enjoy narration from licensed battlefield guides, take sunset tours, enjoy fireworks, and more!
- World War II Living History Weekend – September 16 & September 17 – Sponsored by the National Park Service, the World War II living history weekend offers guests the opportunity to see dozens of World War II jeeps and trucks, participate in a mock Army Air Force transport squadron D-Day mission briefing in support of paratrooper operations, listen to stories of civilians from the home front, join in on special guided walks, and much more!
- National Apple Harvest Festival – October 7, 8, 14, 15 – The National Apple Harvest Festival features hundreds of arts and crafts dealers, demonstrations, contests, food stands, and entertainment for people of all ages.
- Halloween Weekend – October 27 through October 29 – For thrill-seekers up for some ghost tours, Gettysburg is the perfect place to be this spooky time of year. We offer several ghost tours and special Saturday night suspense tours where you’ll get to spend midnight in a haunted house!
- Remembrance Day – November 18 and 19 – This annual event features a parade of Civil War living history groups honoring soldiers and civilians of the American Civil War. It is held in conjunction with the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address and features various ceremonies.
If these dates don’t fit into your schedule, don’t worry! There’s always plenty going on in Gettysburg, no matter when you visit. For more information, we encourage you to checkout Destination Gettysburg’s event calendar. If you’re planning a group tour, you can reach out via phone at 1-800-447-8788 for assistance planning and booking your Gettysburg group tours.